Membership in the Wyoming State Liquor Association (WSLA) could be the most cost-effective form of insurance for your business that you can invest in. Some of the reasons are:
Legislative and Governmental Representation
“The WSLA is our watchdog for the liquor industry. Most of us are business people, without the time or resources to attend or monitor the many legislative and governmental meetings that can affect our industry. With the WSLA we can.”
“We are in an industry that can be decimated by adverse legislation. It is also an industry that is constantly under attack by anti-alcohol groups and individuals. Without the representation of the WSLA, our future would be much bleaker.”
The WSLA has been at the forefront of the industry, protecting Wyoming businesses from destructive legislation and regulations while working to keep our state business-friendly to allow our economy, and our businesses, to grow and prosper.
Imagine doing business in a state featuring:
- Doubling the liquor and beer taxes, or doubling the price of your liquor license renewal
- A state-wide smoking ban for all businesses, including bars
- Outlawing sales of specific sizes and types of alcohol
- Random roadblocks or “sobriety checkpoints” for DUI’s across the state
- Runaway lawsuits against the liquor industry, both on and off-premise
- No drive-up windows, no happy hours, and promotional restrictions
- Public health warning posters against alcohol required to be posted in your business
- Elimination or major changes in the wholesale structure for liquor in Wyoming, resulting in major price hikes
- Increased minimum wage for tipped and/or regular minimum wage employees
- A BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) for drunk driving at .06, or lower
- Elimination of the population formula to determine liquor licenses, or zoning changes to shut down retailers
- A major overhaul of the formula to determine Workers Compensation rates that would have a significantly negatively impact on retailers
These things are not scare tactics; they have all been proposed for Wyoming. Without banding together, stopping the assault on the liquor industry is impossible.
Other Benefits of Membership:
From the constant flow of information from e-mails, the website, the newsletter; to the state-wide alcohol education program; and even insurance savings. Your ability to be successful, and profitable, is greatly helped by your involvement in the WSLA because
- Educates businesses and communities with the TIPS (Training for Intervention Procedures) training program that is taught free because of a grant from the Wyoming Department of Health Substance Abuse Division. The Wyoming Department of Revenue Liquor Division has also been a partner in this exciting project that has trained over 1,500 people in Wyoming in less than a year and a half. These classes cost up to $120 per person in some states!
- Communicates with its members through a regular newsletter outlining new laws, trends, and other information to help enhance the success of our industry. We also furnish information through special mailing, through the website, and through faxes and e-mails.
- Maintains a FAQ file that can help you on many important issues
- Features cost-saving ideas on insurance (including liquor liability) and other areas of business that can save you money.
- Provides opportunities for you to be more aware of product opportunities with advertising in our newsletter and website
Instead of asking “Can I afford to be a member;” the question should be “Can I afford not to be a member?”